Hopefully many of you have been able to try out the new video call feature in Yahoo! Messenger 10 Beta. We’ve heard from some of you that you’re enjoying it, but we’ve also heard that some are having problems with the feature.
Here is a short FAQ about video calling in Yahoo! Messenger 10, including some troubleshooting steps to take if you are having issues.
Is there a minimum set of requirements that I need to meet before I can make video calls?
Yes, there are and you can see the complete list of requirements on our help page. Below are a few tips for ensuring the best video call experience:
- A computer with the Windows XP operating system or later, a 1 GHz CPU processor and 512 MB of RAM.
- Broadband Internet connection speed: Minimum of 300 Kbps download and 128 Kbps upload.
- Video card: Minimum of 96 MB memory.
- Webcam: Follow manufacturer instructions for ensuring proper webcam installation, including the use of the installation CD.
- Be sure you have the latest version of Microsoft DirectX® installed.
To test whether your webcam will work with our video call feature, go to our webcam detection help page.
I meet the minimum requirements. Can I start my video call?
Yes but we advise you that you go through the recommended steps to make your first video call. This can help you avoid most issues or problems. For example, make sure you run the video and voice call setup wizard before you place your first call. You’ll find it under Messenger > Preferences > Video & Voice Devices > “Open Video and Voice Setup” link.
Why is the Video Call button greyed out in my IM window?
Video calling is only available to users on Yahoo! Messenger 10. You and your friend both need to have Yahoo! Messenger 10 installed to make video calls. If your friend is not sure of their version, tell them to go to Help > About Yahoo! Messenger and check the version number. If they’re not on 10, they can download it from the Yahoo! Messenger website.
Why does my video call hang up after ringing for several seconds with no answer?
There is no voicemail available for video calls. As a result, your call will ring and then automatically hang up if no one answers after several seconds.
I have my webcam connected – however, the Video and Voice Setup instruction within Messenger cannot detect my Webcam?
To diagnose this issue, please try the following:
1) Connect your webcam to the computer and go to the webcam detection page.
2) If you are unable to see your own video at the above link, please follow instructions from your webcam manufacturer’s installation CD to install the webcam drivers. This should fix your webcam detection problem that you are facing. If you no longer have the CD, visit the manufacturer’s website; they typically offer the latest drivers in their support section.
3) If you are able to see your own video then please submit your messenger diagnostic logs for us to debug the issue. Get instructions on how to submit your logs
My friend’s video does not appear (window appears black) during a video call
There could be several reasons why your friend’s video does not appear during a video call. First, ensure that your friend is also on Yahoo! Messenger 10 Beta. If they are but their video still does not appear, then please ask your friend to follow the instructions here to help figure out the problem.
We appreciate your patience and help in making sure that our new Beta can work with as many webcams as possible. Thanks,